Security- the chacham and the fool

From now on I will post a lot of my mishlei posts as 1 to 3 sentence summaries of the main idea. The sentence limit really forces me to be concise and to get down to the essential ideas of the pasuk. This pasuk is my first attempt. Thank you Matt Schneeweiss for showing me this exercise!

טז חָכָם יָרֵא, וְסָר מֵרָע; וּכְסִיל, מִתְעַבֵּר וּבוֹטֵחַ
"the chacham is fearful and turns away from evil, while the fool causes himself to get angry, and is overconfident"

Main Idea
This pasuk identifies how both the chacham and the fool search for security. The fool, searching for the feeling of security, retreats into his fantasies of controlling reality and becomes overconfident when things are in line with these fantasies but ultimately suffers consequences and anger when reality does not go according to his wishes. The chacham's source of security is from the knowledge that he is not in control of reality and from the appropriate measures that he takes to protect himself from harm.

This summary is still a work in progress so it is likely that I might go back and revise it.

Comments

Popular Posts