Deceit, Justice, and Self Worth

Mishlei Chapter 12-5
מַחְשְׁבוֹת צַדִּיקִים מִשְׁפָּט תַּחְבֻּלוֹת רְשָׁעִים מִרְמָה:

The thoughts of the righteous are justice; the devices of the wicked are deceit.


When the wicked person performs actions of deceit in order to circumvent a system; whether it is cheating on an exam or lying to his peer, he is setting himself in a default perspective where his mind is naturally drawn to deception against the system as opposed to succeeding within a system. Underlying this perspective is the principle that “I cannot succeed if I follow the operating principles of the world; I need to sneak my way to success”. Not only will he get the consequences associated with cheating, but he will also become blind to simple opportunities available to him that require acting in line with some system. The person who performs acts of justice however, learns to live and succeed within a system and develops a perspective governed by the thought, “I can succeed if I follow the principles of the system in which I am in”.

Comments

Popular Posts